Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Funhouse Album information


P1nk has stated that this album is her most vulnerable to date. Much of the album's subject matter alludes to the fact that Moore recently divorced her husband Carey Hart. The first single, "So What", opens with: "I guess I just lost my husband/I don't know where he went"."Please Don't Leave Me" also addresses the split. The artist sums up its theme thus: "Okay, I’m an asshole, but love me anyway."In "Mean", she sings, "It was good in the beginning/but how did we get so mean?"
 
P!nk performing on the Funhouse Tour in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

The song that Moore is the most proud of is "Crystal Ball". She said about the track: "I recorded it in one take and we didn’t mix it. It just went straight to master. It was all about a vibe and not about perfection or being polished. I just love that song and I loved recording it."[4] She wrote the song together with friend Billy Mann who also aided her with the songs "Stupid Girls", "Dear Mr. President" and "I'm Not Dead", among others.

In the song "It's All Your Fault", she proclaims in the lyrics "I conjure up the thought of being gone, but I’d probably even do that wrong." In "Glitter in the Air", P!nk asks many questions such as, "Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don’t care?", and "Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone?" Pink admits, "I still don’t have some of the answers to the questions I pose on this record. I’m still figuring it all out."

The second single off the album is "Sober". Pink wrote this song at a party hosted at her home, where everyone was drunk or drinking except for her, and she wanted them all to leave. She went to the beach and had a line in her head saying "How do I feel so good sober?". Eventually it had nothing to do with alcohol but with identities. "How do I feel so good with just me, without anyone to lean on?", Pink says in an interview.

"Ave Mary A" deals with world issues and problems. "One Foot Wrong" talks about an acid trip that went wrong, but also has an underlying theme. "That song is also about losing control and how easy it is to lose the plot in life and teeter on the edge.".

Originally, Pink wanted to call her album Heartbreak is a Motherfucker, but her record label declined because of a fear that offensive language would hurt sales. She also said that she didn't want the album to look like a break-up album; "There is a lot of that [break-up], but there is fun happening too and that's why I named it Funhouse in the end." Pink has also stated that she sees life as a carnival: "Clowns are supposed to be happy, but they are really scary. Carnivals are supposed to be fun, but really they are kind of creepy. and that's like life to me, and love. Love is supposed to be fun, but it can sometimes be really scary. And the funhouse mirrors that make you look so distorted that you don’t recognize yourself and you ask yourself, ‘How did I get here? How do I get out of here?’ But, you think that you want to do it again. That is the same as love and life. It's a metaphor for being in love and for life." This also shows in the title track "Funhouse" where she tells that it used to be fun. "It's about when the box you’re in doesn’t fit anymore, burn that fucker down and start a new one."

Pink had written and recorded approximately 30 to 35 songs at the ready for the new album. "It's like getting rid of your children: 'I like that one too, but I'm going to let that one die,'" she says of choosing album tracks. "The good thing now is that different countries want extra songs and B-sides, so there's always a home for the other kids." Pink traveled internationally to write and record the album, working with Eg White in London and with Max Martin in Stockholm. "It was really good to get out of my house and get away from my life. No distractions. No phones", explains Pink of her overseas sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment